The American Academy of Dermatology takes note of that short, manicured nails look incredible, yet are less inclined to trap soil and microscopic organisms that can prompt disease. Furthermore, the right nail cutting procedure can likewise prevent hangnails and ingrown toenails, academy experts said.
“Short nails stay cleaner and break less regularly, which is useful for both your appearance and your wellbeing,” nail specialist Dr. Shari Lipner said in an academy news release.
Nails are an impression of your general wellbeing,” Lipner added. “Watch out for your nails, and on the off chance that you see a cahnge in the color, surface or shape of your nail, see a board-certified dermatologist. While a few changes are harmless, others could be an indication of an ailment, for example, melanoma, or a disease, for example, a nail fungal infection.”
Lipner recommends the following :
– Soften your nails first. The best time to trim your nails is after taking a bath or shower. If that’s not possible, soak your nails in lukewarm water for a couple of moments.
– Use the right clipper. Use a nail clipper or nail scissors for your fingernails and a toenail scissors for your toenails. Scissors ought to be routinely cleaned: Use a small scrub brush that has been soaked in a bowl of isopropyl alcohol, at that point clean your clipper or scissors and wash them in boiling water and dry them before putting them away
– For fingernails, cut practically straight across the nail. At that point use a nail file or emery board to slightly round the corners. This can keep them strong and prevent them from catching.
– To reduce the odds of an ingrown toenail, cut toenails straight across.
– Use a nail file or emery board to smooth uneven or rough edges. Always file the nail in the same direction — filling back and forth can weaken nails.
– Try not to obsess about your cuticles. Cuticles protect the root of the nail, which is the reason you shouldn’t cut or push them back. Trimming or cutting your cuticles can invite microbes and different germs into your body, causing an infection. A nail disease can set aside a long effort to clear.
– After trimming, moisture your nails to keep them flexible. This is significant when the air is dry, because dry nails split easily.
Source : https://consumer.healthday.com/general-health-information-16/skin-care-health-news-616/tips-for-healthy-nails-742755.html